326: Orange Butter Almond Muffins
I’m finally going to blog about my orange butter almond muffins sitting in those pretty pink polka-dotted muffin/souffle cups! OH gosh, I am so in love with those cute dainty pink polka dots! Was quite exasperated trying to upload images on WordPress that I gave up in the end. So here I am, back again!
These muffins were lovely! All I wish for in a muffin. I like my muffins dense, with a lovely orange taste (from the rinds) and a ‘hard’ lovingly browned crispy exterior (top hat!).
I gave half of what I baked to my aunt and cousins and as for the rest, I brought to school to share with friends! Baking is all about sharing. I like to give away (often the bulk!) of what I baked to people I care about. I hope they feel the ‘love’ while they’re tucking into those delectable goodies!
Got the recipe from one of my favourite local baking blogs here. I adapted the recipe by including the rinds from 2 oranges and some almond slivers to grace the top of the muffin. By the way, it’s actually a recipe for “orange butter cupcakes” but I thought it wasn’t as light as a cupcake should be. Typically I thought cupcakes need more eggs in their recipes to fluff the batter up! It was more a muffin to me.
Ingredients (makes 12) :
175g butter, softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cup plain flour
2 tsps baking powder
finely grated rind of 2 orange
2 tsps orange juice
1) place butter, caster sugar and grated orange rind in a mixing bowl and whisk mixture until light and fluffy.
2) add in eggs, one at a time and whisk until well combined between each addition.
3) sift together flour and baking powder over the butter mixture then fold in lightly using a metal spoon. add in orange juice and mix well.
4) spoon mixture into muffin cases until about 3/4 full and bake in a preheated oven of 160 deg c for 25 mins until skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
5) let cool completely before frosting or storing.