334: Teh Tarik Ice Cream
At the request of the sister, I made her teh tarik ice-cream. Got inspired from the recipe from Almost Bourdain.
Adapted the recipe and this is my version of teh tarik ice-cream! The ice-cream is REALLY good and creamy. The exact same taste and flavour as Island Creamery’s and I’m not kidding or praising my own ice cream. Used a 2:1 cream/milk ratio as this has worked perfectly well for me the past many times with David Lebovitz’s ice-cream recipes! Sorry for the ugly blobs/lumps on the ice-cream. I’m not too particular about the surface being ultra smooth as all I wanted to do at the moment was to FREEZE the ice-cream!
Teh Tarik Ice Cream
Makes 1 quart
500 ml cream
250 ml milk
9 Lipton tea bags (or any red/black tea)
5 egg yolks
6 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- Add cream, milk and tea bags in a saucepan and gently heat until just below boiling point.
- Remove from heat and let tea leaves infused for 30 minutes.
- Beat egg and sweetened condensed milk with an electric mixer until color turned pale.
- Add the milk mixture and whisk until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a double boiler and simmer slowly under the mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Cool the custard mixture and churn in ice cream maker.
Maybe the next time round, I’ll infuse the tea for a longer period and add in just 1 more tea bag!